CHANNEL-ISLANDS-L Archives

Archiver > CHANNEL-ISLANDS > 2007-08 > 1188519999

From: "S.R & K.M.Pattison" <>
Subject: [CI] Brookfield Farm ?, Beaumont ?.
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:26:39 +1000

G'Day Everyone,

Can anyone identify the location of a farm on Jersey for me. My father
called the farm "Brookfield Farm, Beaumont", but I was going through some
old photos recently and one of them has a note on the back "This is a snap
of the old farm Brookfield with tomatoes out front". I understand the farm,
which was mainly used for growing early season tomatoes for the Covent
Garden Market in England was owned by Frank Mauger and family, I don't know
the Christian name of Frank's wife, she was a Gibaut, the sister of my great
grandmother Jane Gibaut, but they had a son Percival, a daughter Elsie and
later a grandson Percy (the son of Percival). One of the listers has advised
me that there is or was a Village in St Peter parish called Beaumont, this
is possibly the location of the farm, but I have found a Mauger family,
complete with Francis P. Mauger ( possibly my Frank ? ) at the head, in the
British 1881 census. This family is located at "The Miles, St Brelade,
Jersey" and Francis is described as a Farmer 9 acres. I don't know if this
is the farm in the photographs or indeed if this Francis is "mine". Does
anyone have any ideas ?

Syd Pattison, Australia

This thread: