CHANNEL-ISLANDS-L Archives

Archiver > CHANNEL-ISLANDS > 2009-11 > 1257353124

From: Mike Fry <>
Subject: [CI] Help With An Incomer
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 18:45:24 +0200

Hi all,

I have a relative that was born in London in 1803, but who seems to have
spent his life (at least from 1841 onwards) in St. Helier, Jersey.

His name was George Allwright FRY.

He shows up in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses for the island with his
family as a Painter & Decorator. This seems to have been a business of
some kind, because he employs people.

The census references are:-

1841 - HO107 Piece:1461 Book:8 Folio:39 Page:9

1851 - HO107 Piece:2527 Folio:? Page:1

1861 - RG9 Piece:4398 Folio:31 Page:1

In between 1841 and 1861, George loses his first wife (Mary Ann) who he
married in England, and acquires a second wife (Elizabeth). In the 1851
census, there is a 'housekeeper' Emma who looks like she might well have
been a housekeeper!

The second wife came from Jersey, and I think her surname was MATTHEWS.
I have details of 3 baptisms that happened in Jersey, presumably with
Elizabeth as the mother.

Jane Hinchcliffe FRY 1854
George Allwright FRY 1856
Mary Simmonneaux FRY 1858

So! Questions!

a) Did Mary Ann (first wife) die in St Helier? If so, when?

b) Did George marry Elizabeth MATTHEWS? if so when?

c) Did George die in St Helier? In fact any details of other FRY members
of the family would be most appreciated. I do know about the Thomas
Frederick FRY and family that were on the island between 1851 and 1871!

--
Best regards,
Mike Fry

This thread: