CHANNEL-ISLANDS-L Archives

Archiver > CHANNEL-ISLANDS > 2010-01 > 1263859134

From: "" <>
Subject: [CI] Sir Isaac Brock
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:58:54 -0000

Author: PearlBrock57
Surnames: Brock
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.channelislands.general/3864/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Does anyone know the names of the brothers of Sir Isaac Brock (the general who was killed at Queenston Hights) Did any of his brothers emigrate to Canada.

I am receiving conflicting information about my ancestor, Samuel Brock.

The person who did the research says, ", it is said that he was born, 31 Jan.1777, on the Isle of Guernsey, and that he was a "younger brother" of Sir Isaac Brock. (Wikipedia says Sir Isaac was the 8th son, how many brothers were there?)
In any case, in 1795, he (Samuel)was living Adolphustown Twp., and his household consisted of one man, one woman, and one male (under 16?);"

Yet, the same set of information lists him as the ninth son, (there may be a generation missing)of William Brock who was press ganged in Scotland, taken prisoner by the French, released in Boston as part of a prisoner exchange, and settled in Fishkill New York. All of William's other children seem to have been born in North America. William seems to have moved his family to Adolphustown, Upper Canada, or Canada West (now Ontario)after the American Revolution.

All Brock's seem to be told they are related to Sir Isaac. I am quite happy to be descended from William, born 1715 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

I would like to clarify if the "brother to Sir Isaac" story is at all possible. William does not seem to have had any sons named Isaac.

My Samuel has to be one or the other.

Isaac became a very popular name for Brock children after the War of 1812. I have even found a homestead for General Brock in Saskatchewan in the early 1900's.

Important Note: