CHAPMAN-L Archives

Archiver > CHAPMAN > 2004-03 > 1078940395

Subject: [CHAPMAN-L] Joseph Chapman died Ca 1820
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:40:01 EST

Earl I have read with interest your emails about your Joseph Chapman d 1810
in Charlston. I have a Joseph Cahpman b 14 June 1744 Fredrick Co Va and d ca
1820 or prior to that. There was a Suit Bill filed in 1821 Court of Equity
Newberry Co SC about his estate. On this his children and other descendants were
listed. We believe his first wife to be Catherine Anderson dau of Bartholomew
Anderson . She is listed as md to Joseph Chapman and the ones on the internet
seem to agree that she was wife of this Joseph because of Grandchildren listed
in will of Bartholomew Anderson. I have not a copy of either of these
documents yet.
Joseph Chapman was the son of Giles Chapman Sr and Sarah Jackson both b in
England Giles 1st b 04 Jan 1702 and Sarah Jackson b 27 Feb 1710. both moved into
Newberry Co SC and died ca 1789 and buried there perhaps Chapman Cemetery. I
will contact Neal and see if he can find the graves. There are several Giles
and I have Dr Jesse P Chapman's book on "Giles Chapman of Bridlington"
Giles and Sarah's children were
Elizabeth Chapman b 28 Jan 1734 b Bridlington England
Samuel Chapman b 16 Sept 1735 md Lydia and also md Nancy Hannah
Rachel Chapman b 30 Sept 1737
Joseph Chapman b 14 Jan 1744 md Catherine Anderson? and Definetly md
Penelope? Summers Her name given in Suit Bill
Sarah Cahpman b 18 Dec 1742 All Others b Fredrick Co Va
William Chapman b 21 June 1746
Giles Chapman(II) b 10 Oct 1748 probably in VA or Orange Co NC d 15 April
1819 in Newberry Co SC md 14 Sept 1775 Mary Summers. Mary Summers father Rev
Joseph Summers a Universalist Minister who moved from Maryland to Newberry CO SC
near Bush River
Giles Chapman Sr Buried Chapman Graveyard Owned by J A Crotell.
Newberry County SC Historical and Genealogical Annals by George Leland
Summers. He may be refering to Giles(III) son of Giles Chapman(II) listed above or
the Ist Giles. Giles Chapman(II) had a son Giles.
Giles Chapmanson of lst Giles and Sarah md Mary Summers. He was the
minister of the Tunkers Religion.
Joseph Chapman son of Giles 1st and Sarah Jackson is my ancestor. Children
William Joseph Chapman called William b ca 1766
md 1798 Elizabeth Martin dau of Elijah Martin and Betsy Vondenburg
Samuel Chapman
Sarah Chapman
These by 1st wife Catherine Anderson? all died before Suit Bill 1820
2nd wife Penlope (Summers?)
Mary (Polly) Chapman b ca 1772 md 1st Joshua Griffin
2nd David McCullough
Elizabeth Chapman b 17 June 1775 Newberry Co SC md Elijah Lynch (Reverend )
both died in Newberry CO SC Elizabeth d 04 Nov 1855 Elijah d 10 Aug 1842
Newberry Co SC
Jacob Chapman
William Joseph Chapman b ca 1766/1770 son of Joseph and Catherine?
md ca 1798 Elizabeth Martin her parents Elijah Martin and Betsy Vondeburg
were md Newberry Co Sc about 1760
South Carolina Magzine Of Ancestor Research Vol XIII 1985 #3 page 155 Recipt
from William Chapman, Joseph Chapman, and Moses Chapman 16 Dec 1833 there part
of Father William Chapman Estate Edgefield Dist Estate Div.
Children of William Joseph Chapman and Elizabeth Martin
Moses Chapman md Sarah Reynolds 08 May 1824 Henry Co GA
Elijah Martin Chapman b ca 1800 SC d ca 1855 md Eliza Urwin Hartsfield b 16
April 1808 md in Henry Co Ga 10 May 1827
William Chapman md Jane Adams
Joseph Chapman md Mary Johnson, md 2nd Harriet Cowan
Jacob Chapman md Mary Nettles md 2nd Margaret McLean
Elizabeth Chapman b 23 June 1805 SC d 02 July 1872 Union Parrish LA md George
Washington Reynolds 13 Nov 1825 b 23 July 1805 in Bartow CO GA d 1879
Union Parrish LA (Downsville LA)

This thread: