CHASE-L Archives

Archiver > CHASE > 2002-05 > 1022783527

From: "Jeffrey Chace" <>
Subject: [CHASE-L] Dr. Charles E. Banks Manuscripts
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 20:32:07 +0200

Hello,

I thought that I would pass on this information to anyone who is interested
and particularly someone who is in a better position than I to go
investigate. In the book The Great Migration Begins, William Chace's
origins in Wivenhoe are based upon the Topographical Dictionary of 2885
English Emigrants to New England, 1620-1650, Elijah Ellsworth Brownell, ed.
(Philadelphia 1937; rpt. Baltimore 1957), by Dr. Charles E. Banks. The
Great Migration says, "Banks derives this William Chase from Wivenhoe,
Essex, citing only 'Banks Mss.'" Earlier this year, I found a copy of the
same Topographical Dictionary at Essex Records Office in Chelmsford,
England, and indeed that is the only source given. 'Banks Mss.' means Banks
Manuscripts.

Below is the a guide to the information held by the Library of Congress and
the Banks genealogical collection makes up 11 microfilm reels. Who, oh Who
has the time and is in close enough proximity to go determine if the
mysterious 'Banks Mss.' with regard to William are included in these reels?
Given what notes he made on William and why he concluded William came from
Wivenhoe would allow me to go straight to the source in England and further
our information.

Banks genealogical collection. -- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress,
Photoduplication Service, 1978. -- 11 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.

LC Call Number: Microfilm 51304

A collection of primarily genealogical and historical records relating to
American families, found in the library of Col. Charles E. Banks at the time
of his death in 1931. It includes some printed but mostly handwritten and
typewritten manuscripts. The originals are in the Library of Congress Rare
Book and Special Collections Division. The collection also includes some
periodical articles and book pages, lists, subsidies, parish registers,
photos, letters and postcards, some maps, some genealogies, and other
genealogical data. A list of items filmed appears at the beginning of each
reel.

LCCN: 84-187195

GUIDE: 9, [Banks Genealogical Collection].

1. New England--Genealogy. 2. England--Genealogy. 3. England--Registers.

Jeffrey Chace

My Chace website: http://home.wanadoo.nl/j.b.chace
Search these emails:
http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl?list=CHASE