CHASE-L Archives

Archiver > CHASE > 2005-11 > 1132729505

From: Jeffrey Chace <>
Subject: Re: [CHASE-L] The Arabella
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 01:05:05 -0600

Ruth,

There was a replica made of the Arbella in 1930 and you can see a photo of
it here
http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/mhr/6/images/bremer_fig12b.jpg
You should checkout www.winthropsociety.org Here is what they have to say:

*FAQ:* Was my ancestor aboard the *Arbella?*
*ANSWER:* From Winthrop's journal<http://www.winthropsociety.org/journal.php>;,
we know only that Gov. John Winthrop and Rev. George Phillips took passage
aboard the *Arbella*. By other reliable sources, we think Sir Richard
Saltonstall, William Hathorne, Rev. John Wilson and their families, and
probably Increase Nowell and Thomas Dudley crossed the Atlantic in the *
Arbella* as well. All who came with the fleet of 1630 are equally honored by
the Winthrop Society.
There is no indication that William and Mary Chase and their son were on the
Arbella, only that they were with the fleet - there were other ships.

I was just in Plymouth, Mass, and toured the replica of the Mayflower and I
have some photos of it if you would like them. It is typical of the ships
of that era.

Cheers,

Jeffrey Chace