CHEROKEE-SURNAMES-L Archives

Archiver > CHEROKEE-SURNAMES > 2004-06 > 1086561896

Subject: BUTLER Family
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 18:44:57 EDT

Iam looking for information on my ggg-grandfather Simon BUTLER. I have been
told that HE was a full blooded Cherokee. Simon was born in 1776 in Indian
Territory. He married Mary "Polly" Frazier. They had a daughter by the name of
Sarah Elizabeth"Sally" Butler. I have found Simon and Mary in the 1840 census in
Wayne County Ky. I have also found Mary and Simon in 1860 in Whitley County,
Ky. And most recently found a Simon Butler in Stewart County, Tennessee in the
1820's and 1830's. I was told that Simon came from the Paint Clan, and he
went by the name of Running Bear or Running From Bear. Simon died in 1869 or 1870
in Pulaski County, Ky if anyone has any information. Please contact me at
Thank You Julie

This thread: