CHEROKEE-L Archives

Archiver > CHEROKEE > 1998-08 > 0902092784

From: Georgiana Drew <>
Subject: Re: [CHEROKEE-L] Surname McDONALD
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 14:19:44 -0700

William Atherton wrote:
> Dear Kerri,
> I'm totally new to looking for Native American ancestors. I'm having a
> total bomb finding anything about my wife's Great Grandmother. All we
> know is that her name was Sally(ie) McDonald. Family legend has it that
> she was a full blooded Cherokee school teacher.

In "Old Cherokee Families" {Emmet Starr/J. J. Hill} There are no
Sally McDonalds. Here are the male McDonalds:
Collins McDonald married Narcena Adair and had the following sons:
John Ross McDonald married Sarah Malinda Adair
George Washington McDonald married Sarah Elizabeth Jernigan Boles
Andrew Adair McDonald (died without issue)
Henry Clay McDonald married Adeline Craig children not listed
John McDonald married Annie Shorey only a daughter
If you do not get info on Sally you might try to find these men on
the rolls and trace them forward.

> The complicating factor is that another source lists Sally(ie)'s last
> name as "McDaniel". We are pretty sure though that "MDonald" is
> correct.

There is one Sally McDaniel. She married Rider Fields
None of the other females married Greens

> My question is, do you have ANY suggestions? Would she be on any of the
> Indian rolls, like the Dawes, if she lived as far away as North
> Carolina. I assume she would have had to make application to be on it,
> is that correct? Now for a dumb question, why would she do this? We've
> been told by other geneaologists that a lot of the Native Americans hid
> their true identities to protect themselves. Is this correct?

Yes it is true. Much like blacks Indians were thought to be the
lower class. Savages, drunks. Many thought if they admitted Indian
blood the would be sent to Oklahoma. (Cherokees didn't have
reservations)

Georgie
Cherokee Names: Drew, Rogers, Wright--TN,GA,AL,OK

This thread: