CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 1998-02 > 0888059389

From: "Charles Hancock" <>
Subject: Re: [CHESHIRE-L] CHEADLE
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:09:49 -0000

> > Also, how do you pronounce CHESHIRE?
>
>"Che -sher" is the nearest I can get. Certainly not "Cheese-shire",
>despite its famous dairy products!

Actually, I find "Chesh-a" a closer equivalant. English people generally
pronounce "er" as "a". A similar logic explains why English people think
that Americans pronounce the county as "Chesh-IRE". I blame Noah Webster.

In any event, this is all high level stuff. If lots of Americans start
speaking like the locals, Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman will soon be out
of a job. :-)

If you think you have a problem with "Cheshire", try "Cholmondeley" (a
village and castle in south Cheshire).

Regards from
Charles Hancock

This thread: