CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 1998-03 > 0891209804

From: "Pamela M Robins" <>
Subject: [CHESHIRE-L] Trent & Mersey Canal
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:16:44 +1000

Hello Everyone

William FARAM, my 2 x ggf, was born at Etruria, Sts, in 1787. In
time, he and his brothers were engineers or carpenters `on the Canal', which
leads me to suspect that their father John may have worked there too. Living
at Etruria in the late 1700s, my guess is that he'd have to be either a
potter or canal-worker, and (as far as I know) there are no pottery genes in
the family! In later years, other family members were Lock Keepers and such
in the Thurlwood/Alsager area of Cheshire.

By 1809 (when he married), William had moved to Middlewich, and
was described, when his children were baptised at Middlewich, as Carpenter
(for the first four: 1811, 1813, 1815, 1817), Engineer (1820), Engineer to
the Navigation (1824), Engineer to the Canal Company (1826) & Engineer to
Trent & Mersey Canal (1829).

Can anyone tell me if there are personnel records available for
the Trent & Mersey Canal?

Many thanks.

Pam Robins

Beaudesert, Qld, Aust.