CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 1998-04 > 0893124070

From: Carl Rogerson< >
Subject: [CHESHIRE-L] Spooky
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 98 17:22 BST-1

John WAINRIGHT (Stockport 1723 to 1768) wrote the hymn tune for
"Christians Awake". It was said in our family that he is an ancestor.
After some research I found that he is indeed my 6x great grandfather.

Imagine my surprise then on reading in the Stockport Heritage Magazine
that his ghost is said to rise from the grave and enter the church each
New Year's morn.

The magazine story may only be someone's childhood memory, but before
returning to more serious research I have some questions:-)

-Would a ghost be a useful source of genealogical information?

-Are there any recommended interview techniques for ghosts?

-Is there a place in a GEDCOM file for recording ghostly information?

-Where are vital records for ghosts kept?

I daren't ask if there is an internet list for ghosts for fear of too many
serious replies.

Having a ghost as an ancestor does at least explain some of my more
colourful relatives.

Carl Rogerson, Hyde, Cheshire.

This thread: