CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 1998-10 > 0909878610

From: "Mary O'Brien" <>
Subject: [CHESHIRE-L] File organisation the paper kind
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 10:03:30 +1000

It is always very interesting to find out how people organize their
filing systems. I would like to tell you about the system I have for non
electronic filing. There is always information in 'transit' to you computer
and also hard copies or documents that are in use.

I use colour coding for my four grand parents and any of their
ancestors. The main colours available in Australia are yellow, pink, blue
and green. I use the natural / buff colour for my general information.
This is a great time saver. If you are doing a spouse's family as well then
a little ingenuity is required. I use coloured strips stuck onto very pale
manila coloured folders. These coloured strips are also put on the spine
area so that they can be identified easily if the file is lying in a stack.

On the electronic front I use a genealogical program (The Master
Genealogist) that allows me to enter copious amounts of information. There
are many good programs that have this feature. My library, including books,
CDs, stored indexes on floppies and information sheets are listed in a data
base program. The information is under their appropriate headings, i.e.
CD-ROM, and I keep a hard copy for my convenience.

When dealing with general information and records don't over look your
word processor. By using the table facility on any good word processor you
can sort by various 'fields'. If your budget and computer skills are
limited it is better to invest in a good word processor and learn to use all
its wonderful features. You can use you word processor as a data base type
record keeper. The secret in this type of recording is organizing your
'files' or 'folders'. Make your main files or folders and use them to store
sub headings. This will group sets of information together and make it
easier to find. It is very simple to copy and past to other documents.

You could have LIBRARY as a main folder. Under this folder you could
then list, BOOKS, CD-ROM, MAPS, GENERAL INFORMATION. Set up your tables in
a way that suits you but here is a suggestion. BOOKS could have columns
with such headings as 1. Subject (this could be people, places, history or
indexes); 2. Make another three columns with more details of the contents,
remembering that the first word will be able to be sorted into alphabetical
order; 3. years covered if applicable; 4. Don't forget the details of the
publication including name, author and ISBN number.

This is for you and it is important that you set out your records in a
way that suits your needs. You can get lost of good ideas from others but
in the end it will be up to you.

Regards, Mary

This thread: