Archiver > CHESHIRE > 1998-11 > 0910320862

From: "Jeff Peters" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:54:22 -0500

To Alan and Janice Bird,

In your message re:Regimental badges, you mention the name SLACK, from

On a gravestone in the Macclesfield Cemetery there is the
Charles SLACK d. March 25,1917 aged 72
wife Ellen Elizabeth d .Feb. 23, 1919 aged 74

These names are on the same gravestone as my great great grandfather Joseph
Warren, who died Sept. 05,1922. I do not know the connection to the
Slacks. Also on the same stone are John and Ellen Warren.

If you have any information, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you
Janice Peters
Ontario, Canada
> From: Alan Bird <>
> Subject: Re: [CHESHIRE-L] Regimental badges
> Date: Thursday, November 05, 1998 6:29 PM
> Yes! In WW1 Australia was well represented in Galipoli, Egypt etc., from
> where they then moved into France & Belgium. Four 2nd generation
> Australians were in the First AIF, from my wife's Cheshire and
> Families of "SLACK". Edgar SLACK, an officer, was even presented to the
> King and Queen at Windsor Castle, while two other "SLACK" servicemen were
> lost in action, one in Egypt and one in France, unfortunately just before
> the close of the war.
> The SLACK family appeared in Dunge and Macclesfield in the 1500's. Four
> brothers migrated to Australia from Hayfield, Dby in 1852,and it was from
> this family that the above are descended. The Hayfield Family is
> from Thomas Slacke a yeoman of Dunge.
> I would suggest you look at:
> This will give you the disposition of the various Australian Army
> duing WW1
> Be carefull when you type the above address as there is a dash between
> and index you will have to use upper case to type this dash. (AIF_index).
> Unfortunately the underlining, which is automatic, over-types the dash.
> Kind regards and good hunting
> Alan & Janice Bird (Janice, nee Slack)
> -----

This thread: