CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 1999-02 > 0919465218

From: Helen Parsonage <>
Subject: [CHESHIRE-L] Ormerod's History of Cheshire
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:00:18 -0500

Every so often the subject of George Ormerod's History of Cheshire comes up.
for those unfamiliar with it, George Ormerod wrote a 3 volume? 'History of
the County Palatine of Chester', which covers the entire county.
Originally, it was published in 1812 and is full of information on the old
families of the county. Mostly gentry, but not all. Lots of pedigrees and
such like. In 1882 it was edited and reissued by Thomas Helsby who made
many corrections and 'updates'.
Copies of Ormerod are held at a number of larger libraries, and I
understand that the FHSC recently acquired a set of volumes (on loan?) from
the CRO. They are also available from Salt Lake City on microfilm through
your local FHC (check under CHESHIRE/Genealogy).

Volume III (Macclesfield Hundred) was reprinted in facsimile in 1980 by a
Manchester publisher, E.J. Morten. For some reason they seem reluctant to
deal with retailers : - (
Although its listed in Books in Print, I had orders in with Amazon and my
local Barnes and Noble for over a year before they gave up! A personal call
directly to Morten produced the book in a matter of days!! So here are the
details:
E.J. Morten
6 Warburton Street
Didsbury
Manchester M20 6WA
Tel: 0161 445 7629
Fax: 0161 448 1323
They do take MC/Visa
The book is about £21 + postage, and there is a separate index at about £3 +

So there you are : - )

Helen
PS My copy of the index hasn't arrived yet - so don't even think of asking
me for a look-up!!!! ; - )

This thread: