CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 1999-06 > 0928797626

From: JC Halbrooks <>
Subject: [CHESHIRE-L] Town named Steitch location.
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 19:20:26 -0400

LOCATION OF "STEITCH"
A 1928 letter from a Holbrook, to another Holbrook was telling of the
early origins of his line in Maryland colony, now in US. He says, "The
family originally came from STEITCH, a small town near the Scottish
boarder in England."
The letter writer is not 100% correct on other points, but I cannot find
data to either support or disprove this statement. I am sure the
spelling may not be exactly as he gave it, the spelling he used may be
the phonectic spelling.

The only town close to this sound or spelling I can find is either
SPOONLEY STYCH, or STYCH, located in northern Shropshire; 8 miles SE of
Whitchurch; 2 miles NW of Drayton in Hales; 5 miles SW of Norton in
Hales.
On the map the name is on two lines and it is not seen if SPOONLEY
is a town just north of STYCH, or if the two word name has been given in
two "lines" on the map, the full name being SPOONLEY STYCH.

This Salop location is hardly what I would call "near the Scottish
boarder".

Can anyone suggest another town with the SOUND of what the letter
writer spelled as "Steitch"? Near the Scottish boarder in England?

Do you think the northern Salop place is what was meant? Any other
suggestions??

For off-list communication use- Thank you.
JC Halbrooks 357 Snake Meadow Hill Road Sterling CT 06377 USA
HOLBROOK, HALBROOK(S), etc. ANY TIME, ANY PLACE

This thread: