CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 1999-11 > 0941748278

From: "J Roberts" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Butts Lane
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 20:44:38 -0000

Hi Marcus,
I know of no such place as Butts Lane, but there is a Butt Lane in
Staffordshire, very near to Kidsgrove and the Staffs. Cheshire border. It is
also not far from Congleton.

I suggest that, for place name queries you might like to visit the Web site
http://www.approach.u-net.com/location.htm
This site will serarch it's database of place names and then produce a
printable and scleable map shoing the location. It is also very useful in
that regarding certain areas the map can be scaled to street level.

Give it a try its well worth it.

John Roberts
In the Staffordshire Potteries where the Mugs come from

> An ancestor of mine gives her birth place as Congleton, Cheshire on the
1861
> census, but 10 years earlier in 1851 the birthplace is just listed as
Butts
> Lane.
>
> Does anyone know of Butts Lane, and which parish it might be in? I have
yet
> to locate a baptism entry in Congleton for my ancestor, Mary Jackson born
> about 1803, and would welcome any suggestions.

This thread: