CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2000-10 > 0972130924

From: Karen Mossman <>
Subject: [CHS] Never disregard information
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 13:22:04 +0100

I am sure you never do, but I just wanted to tell you what happened
to me. Several months ago I went to visit a lady. Her grandmother was
the sister of my great grandmother. She told me that somewhere in the
STACEY family of Chester they owned a 'Light Cake Shop' in Northgate
Street. I had no idea who and neither did she, but I wrote it down
anyway. I didn't look at it again because I couldn't do anything with
it. I sent off for my grandmothers birth certificate which gave me
the name of her father, John CRAWFORD and her mother, Ann LEWIS. It
said her father was a tailor, so I asked for a look up in the 1881,
but no one could find him. Weeks past and it only occured to me the
other day, if he was dead, maybe I could find his widow. So I asked
for a another look up and back came this: Dwelling: 12 Northgate St
Census Place: Chester St Peter & St Oswald, Cheshire, England
Page 17
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Harriett CRAWFORD U 33 F Chester
Rel: Head
Occ: Light Cake & Muffin Maker (Bkr)
Ann CRAWFORD W 74 F Ludlow, Shropshire, England
Rel: Mother
Mary Jane ELLSON U 29 F Chester
Rel: Baker
Occ: Baker
Harriett Jane DOBSON U 19 F Chester
Rel: Serv
Occ: General Servant

And there it was, Light Cake Maker jusy where the lady had said. Also
my ggrandmother who as called Hannah, called her daughter Harriet
Hannah, obviously after her sister and herself.
So of course, the moral to the story is, don't diregard anything -
but I am sure you know that anyway :)

....Karen

--

Karen Mossman, Manchester 12473 MLFHS 3826 CFHS
see my genealogy page on www.users.zetnet.co.uk/kmossman/

This thread: