CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2001-10 > 1002965286

From: "frederick jones" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] finding mosfords
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 11:28:06 +0200

Hi Beth
"The Dictionary of English Surnames" Reaney/Wilson does not have an entry
for MOSFORD or any variants that I can see, the dictionary acknowledges that
it is weak so far as names of a Cheshire origin are concerned. The name
"sounds" as though it could be originally a place or field name. In England
most place names were in existance in the 800s whilst surnames only became
fixed in the 1300s. There is no Mosford in my place name index for British
Isles, which does not have any field names an important omission for
localised surnames.

Fred Jones in sunny Johannesburg