CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2002-08 > 1028953385

From: Christine Charles <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Non Gen,Old Sayings
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 14:23:22 +1000

Hi
I went to an information day at my FHS & was told about "to marry over the
broom"
It was an old saying when couples married without the blessing of the church or
the law.
Anyone know any more details of this practise and its prevalance?One lady there
had heard about it as well but also didnt quite know its meaning
Christine