CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2002-11 > 1037549569

Subject: [CHS] wills search and address
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:12:49 EST

Thanks to all who replied re my question re wills, I have found out the
following and thought I would share it with you:

Postal applications should be sent to the York Probate Sub-Registry, Postal
Applications, Duncombe Place, York, YO1 2EA, U.K. There is
a new service through your local Probate Registry which supplies scanned
copies of wills from the new purpose built storage facility and document
retrieval service in Birmingham. Members of the public can go to any Probate
Registry in England and Wales and request to read a copy of a will.
Previously, a copy would have been sent in the post, taking several days, but
the Probate Records Centre will scan the will and send it back to the
Registry within one hour of the initial request.Each will or administration
costs £5 sterling per copy, irrespective of the number of pages. Please
make out any cheque to HM Paymaster General

Madeleine Widdowson

This thread: