CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2003-01 > 1042379443

From: Barb Walker <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Copy or transcription? (was: Help reading death certificate)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 06:51:38 -0700

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 05:22:55 -0000, Antony Lambert Certificates
<> wrote:
> Whilst not wishing to start a discussion about the merits of the either
> service, if you had gone to the Cheshire Registrar's for the certificate
> instead of the ONS, the transcription would have been done for you by
> them.
>
> The certificate would be in modern hand, but then the ONS copy is a copy
> of a transcription made at the time of registration all that time ago.

Thanks, Antony. Having only started researching in England a few months
ago, I wasn't aware that there was a difference. I do have one cert from
the Macclesfield RO and was told that it's a direct photocopy of the
original entry. Does each office do these things differently?

Barb

This thread: