CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2003-01 > 1042560080

From: "anne.cole" <>
Subject: [CHS] Churching of women
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:01:20 -0000

I'm getting a lot of questions about the Churching of Women (Thanksgiving
for safe delivery) which I really don't know very much about. I have found
the service in my prayer book but cannot find any reference to it in any of
the books that I have.

I THINK that I am right in saying that for a certain time after the birth
(six weeks?) a woman would not venture out of the house and until she had
been "churched" she did not re-enter Society.

On doing a google search I found the following
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mikef/church.html
which has everything you could ever want to know about the subject!

Anne

Proud to be part of the FreeCen Project
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/

Duncalf(e)/Duncuff/Duncuft One Name Study (GOONS #513)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/anne.cole

This thread: