CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2003-01 > 1042749022

Subject: [CHS] Learning curve
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:30:22 EST

Hello everyone. I just wanted to say that as a relatively new member I have
been watching & listening & keeping my mouth shut! I have found the listings
so far very informative & I have learned alot about the resources available,
and also that however stupid the question noone minds! So here goes, my
stupid questions start here. On the 1851 census I have found relatives who
are obviously the right people, place,occupation etc but the ages are way off
from other census data and parish records. Are census ages notoriously
dubious? Did heads of household often guess at ages, even of their own
family? Was it common for ennumerators to 'make up' ages if they wernt given
on the form? Did people lie about their age for reasons known only to them?
Second daft question - on the 1851 census index the name FOWLES is mentioned
in three folios but on two of them I can find no trace. Any suggestions?
Thanks in anticipation of your help (and tolerance of a total novice!)

This thread: