CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2003-01 > 1042838292

From: "NM152" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] London Road in Leftwich
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:18:12 -0000

Dear Lila,
Yes, my husband can remember that area of London Road in the
1950's when he went to school.

No. 88 would have been situated on the same side as the old Northwich Union
Workhouse, but past the Railway Viaduct towards Danebridge, but not that far
down..
.
They were terraced cottages (or town houses as we would call them today)
there were various "courts and passageways" between these terraced cottages.
We may have a photograph of the old London Road, I'll look for it during the
weekend and if I can find it I'll let you have a copy.

Just looked on the 1901 Census (which I have a microfiche copy) and found
the following

RG13/3341 Page 30, column 169

88 London Road, Northwich
Samuel DAVIES, Head, Married, aged 39 years,
Occupation: Iron Foundry Labourer, Born Northwich
Annie DAVIES, wife, aged 26 Born Northwich
and two children, aged 1 year & 2 years respectively

Hope this information may be of some help?

Best wishes

Nancy