CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2003-01 > 1042977575

From: "Karen Marshall" <>
Subject: [CHS] Yeoman - definition
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 11:59:35 -0000

Please bear with me, yet another query!

I understand that a yeoman was someone who held, (but not neccessarily
owned), and cultivated a small landed estate. This person qualified by
possessing free land of an annual value of 40 shillings to serve on juries
and vote for the knight of the shire. Is this correct?

If so, are there any lists, or some such, detailing these people? I'm
interested in the latter part of the 18C / early 19C in the Marple area of
Cheshire.

Forgive me if these questions sound daft, but if I don't ask, I'll never
know.

Many thanks for your patience,

Karen 2721 NCFHS Carlisle
All outgoing mail checked by Norton 2002

This thread: