CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2003-01 > 1043347450

From: fordy <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Mossley nr Congleton
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:44:20 +0000

--=======6D2D16E3=======

Hi Karen,

There are no resources that I know of for this picturesque little church as of yet.

GENUKI gives:-

"Mossley, Holy Trinity (C of E). A separate parish from 1846, serving part of Congleton township. Registers of baptisms 1845-1886 are at the CRO". Which obviously isn't much use to you.

Having been there a few times last year, may I say that the gravestones are in pretty good condition and well cared for. Are you sure that she would be at Mossley? There is the cemetery at St Peter's in Congleton?

I am led to believe that the Church is in danger of closing in 2004 due to needing a new roof....but I caught an article on the Congleton Chronicle website that it may well not be as bad as first thought and a decision has been deferred. Let's hope so....

If I lived closer I would go do the MI's myself....

The gravestone of my Thomas Cooper, his wife & children & in-laws is in an excellent state.... I have some photo's from there, I will check if there is any Johnson's in any of them...

Regards
David Ford

At 17:57 23/01/2003 +0000, Karen Marshall wrote:

>Good evening folks!
>
>Having seen much discussion about Mossley recently on the list, I thought
>I'd pose a question myself.
>
>Does anyone know if the MI's for the church at Mossley have been indexed? If
>so, where might I view them?
>
>Only asking as I was told by my grandmother, that her grandmother was buried
>there in the 1930's. As I'm looking for a Mary Johnson, you will understand
>my difficulty. Mary was living in Congleton prior to her death. Why wouldn't
>she be buried in Congleton? Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Have checked the FreeBMD site, but not found the death as yet, perhaps not
>recorded.
>
>Karen Marshall 2721 NCFHS Carlisle
>All outgoing mail checked by Norton 2002

>Cheshire Surnames Interest Directory:
>http://www.fhsc.org.uk/surnames/
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---
Admin for ENG-CHS-ODD-RODE mailing list. Subscribe by sending an email with 'subscribe' to
My Odd Rode web site http://fordys.dns2go.com/oddrode/
Researching: FORD (Odd Rode(Astbury), Chorlton, Leeds, Burslem), SAWYER (Beal, Goole), MUSGRAVE(Leeds, India), CARRUTHERS & EDGAR(S/W Scotland, Durham, Leeds), GILES(Stroud,Leeds), COOPER(Madeley,Congleton), PARKER(Hereford), LUMB(Pocklington, Kilnwick Percy), POINTON(Church Lawton).

---