CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2003-07 > 1057978420

From: Amy Moseley Rupp <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Cemeteries
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:53:51 -0500 (CDT)

> I was disgusted when I discovered that councils actually go around
> cemeteries pushing the monuments and if they fall and break they are
> considered unsafe and if there are no living descendants living locally to
> see that this has been done and pay for repairs that's how it's left!

Now *that's* ridiculous.

I suppose the need for space there is so much greater than here in
the US -- well, Texas in my case -- that there is such pressure to
reuse every inch of land.

Here most gravesites are pieces of land purchased with care in
perpetuity -- and an amount is set aside for their upkeep which
draws interest enough to pay for the cost, which is no more than
keeping the grounds. Local civic groups and families usually
do enough that hired help is not required; only the largest
cemeteries tend to use extensive hired help and again, that
help has been paid for up front.

Older graveyards here, which obviously did not envision the
need for perpetual care or the costs of upkeep/urban pressure,
are usually old enough to be considered state or federal historic
sites -- something laughable perhaps in England, where I'd bet
something would have to be a lot older than a mere 100 or so
years to get the protected designation. Once a structure or
place has been granted this historic preservation status, it
is *very* hard to modify it -- one must go through layers and
layers of approvals and the modification must be done so that
the end result looks like the original -- eg if it's a
Victorian house, then any updating must conform to that style.

I confess I'm amazed at the amount of both governmental and
criminal destruction of graveyards that goes on there. When
we were kids, we were so superstitious that to even enter
a graveyard was a dare.

This thread: