CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2003-11 > 1068418821

From: David Armstrong <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] 1841 Census ~ Sutton, Macclesfield
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:00:21 +1100

Hi Lesley,

While saying a hearty "thankyou", it hardly seems sufficient ! You've
helped me enormously.

A question though, if I may. Was it unusual in the 19thC for people to
chop and change their occupation, or perhaps have more than one ? The
reason I ask this is that my William Broadhurst seems to have had
different occupations at different times, unless I have got the "wrong"
William...

1841 census Baker definitely correct
1844 wife's death certificate Beer seller definitely correct
1851 census Inn keeper
1871 census Baker

He died in 1872. Would his death certificate state his occupation ?

cheers
David