CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2004-08 > 1091535585

From: "David Gilligan" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Apprenticeships
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:19:45 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Lionel Prescot wanted to know where to look for information about 'the
apprenticeship system in England in the 1700 and early 1800s'.

A good place to start for such questions is THE OXFORD COMPANION TO LOCAL
AND FAMILY HISTORY (David Hey, 1998 edition) which devotes almost a page (p
21), with references for further reading, to the subject.

I've noticed many libraries stock this book but I would advise anyone to buy
it as it is invaluable.

Hope this helps.

David Gilligan