CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2005-03 > 1110386266

From: "Mrs L. McCulloch" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Non-genealogy - Hats
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:37:46 +0000

Dear Malcolm, I was chatting to a member today when I was at Alderley Edge
Research rooms and he said his Father wore a 'blocker'. It was a kind of
bowler hat which was quite tough and solid, always black and his dad wore
it for funerals. The rest of the family teased him when he wore it as he
usually wore a flat cap. I would guess the name comes from the
manufacturing process when the hat was made on a block of wood. The
Stockport Hat Museum people could probably tell us more. Regards, Lyn

This thread: