CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2005-06 > 1117879658

From: "Elizabeth Atherton" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Re: Pitt Street Chester and a 2nd Question
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 11:07:38 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

By 1854 many of the parish graveyards in Chester were closed and Overleigh
Cemetery was the only municipal burial ground in the City until Blacon was
opened in 1922. There were certainly no parish graveyards by 1919. But
Overleigh was getting crowded by then. Just looking at the Overleigh general
site I found a burial in 1918. Looks as if Grandma died in an awkward time
slot. You can search the Overleigh records online at http://www2.cheshire
gov.uk/recoff/LACOverleighCemetery/home.asp but as this is from the Record
Office site I don't hold out much hope.
.. Elizabeth Atherton

Here is my second question, if Grandma died in Pitt Street in 1919, where
would she have been buried? I have asked the archive office in Duke Street
and they very kindly did a search for me of the Overleigh Cemetery records
and can find nothing of her. Any suggestions please!!!!

Denise

This thread: