CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2005-07 > 1121765986

From: "Graham Pointon" <>
Subject: RE: [CHS] spelling!
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:43:05 +0100

or even kettle of fish ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Graham Pointon [mailto:]
Sent: 19 July 2005 10:03

I'm with Bill.

I think all this shows is that more than a century after compulsory primary education was introduced, the spelling of the population
has not improved. What you find on Google is no indication of anything. It is simply an indexing tool. The internet in general has
probably perpetrated (and I DON'T mean "perpetuated") more bad spelling than any previous form of communication. Similarly, the
plural of "census" is "censuses", but a Google search for "censii", "censi", "census's" also brings up the immediate question "Did
you mean censuses?" (census's, of course, is a correct form, but it is not the plural) before directing you to a large number of
sites. I'm sure we all know that we are genealogists, but how many people spell (and say) "geneologist"?

The spelling of names, now, is a totally different barrel of fish ...

Graham