CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2005-11 > 1133279713

From: "Trena" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Gratuitous comment: Ancient Inventory (1611) - Lesson 2 = Money
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:55:13 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Terry S. Walker"
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: [CHS] Gratuitous comment: Ancient Inventory (1611) - Lesson 2 =
Money

> There was also the guinea which was 21 shillings or 1 pound and 1
> shilling. I believe the guinea was at one time a single coin, I don't
> know when it ceased to be issued as such but objects, particularly
> furniture and ornaments, were still priced in guineas up until the
> decimalization of the currency in the early 1970s. The prize sums for
> races, especially horse races, were denominated in guineas hence the One
> and Two Thousand Guineas which as far as I know are still so called today.

If I'm recalling correctly, when I went to live in the UK (early 1967) the
actual Guinea coin was still in use. The ¼p / farthing had been
discontinued shortly before my arrival, but you could still receive the odd
one in your returned change. It took me ages to learn the l/s/d system and
my lessons had begun prior to my arrival in the UK. Thought I'd never learn
it! Then one day it all clicked into place. For me the biggest problems
were the various accents, coupled with the 'nicknames' each coin had. Each
seemed to have at least 3-4 different ways of saying what it was, i.e. the
6p = sixpence / tanner / shiner & in some circles was referred to as a dime.
Throwing a Cockney / Liverpudlian / Cornish accent into the mix, you
wouldn't believe how 2½d sounded to these Canadian ears! I spent several
months beforehand trying to learn l/s/d only to have the lady in the first
shop I entered (alone) tell me she wanted a 'joey' for the wee item. No one
had told me what a 'joey' was!

Not sure if I'm remembering rightly or not, but think the Crown (5s) was
referred to as a "dollar" ($1.00), ½ Crown as "½ a dollar" (50¢) and 2s
peice as a "quarter" (25¢). The $ references were used repeatedly by my
husband and his mates, an all Royal Navy crowd. Whilst in Canada I didn't
think anything of it, but when they were still using the terms in the UK, it
threw me off for awhile.

[Back in Canada mid 1970, at first when I saw something worth say $1.98, I
automatically thought £1/9/8 ... "Too dear!" Our rent on a 2 bedroom flat
(RN married quater) was only £2/2/6 when I left, so £1/9/8 was out of the
question for a bag of sweets or something equally as frivolous.]

Toni ~ Ontario

This thread: