CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2005-11 > 1133373215

From: Guy Lawton <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Gratuitous comment: Ancient Inventory (1611) - Lesson 2 = Money
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:53:35 +0000

I understood that when auctioneers sold an item in guineas they retained
the appropriate shillings as their commission and passed on the pounds
to the vendor. So a picture sold at auction for 100 guineas realised
£100 for the vendor and £5 (=100 shillings) for the auctioneer i.e. a 5%
commission on the sale as seen from the vendor's point of view.

In message <000301c5f5cd$111707f0$>, George Carter
<> writes

--
Guy Lawton Research interests:
LAWTON, LEECH, POTT(S), SMALLWOOD Cheshire/Staffs

This thread: