CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2006-03 > 1141214753

From: Peter Dutton <>
Subject: 1841 Census
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:05:53 +0000

Gill

Just speaking personally, I've found it worth subscribing to Stepping
Stones so that I can search the 1841 Census. Unlike some other companies,
there doesn't seem to be a time limit on one's subscription - and one can
view the same film as many times as one wants within 14 days all for the
price of one unit.

I cannot speak about the comparative quality of the images on Stepping
Stones compared with other companies. The 1841 Census is notoriously
difficult to read because of the quality of the original documents, let
alone the filming and then digitising. And, as far as I know, there is no
index - especially for Cheshire - so it is a question of slogging one's way
through the various pages. Personally, I save them from the site and then
view at my leisure (so called!); it means I can easily go back to any
particular page in Nantwich (the area in which I'm interested) without
having to pay again.

Hope this helps.

Good wishes

Peter