CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2006-03 > 1142461275

From: Malcolm Shaw <>
Subject: Ancestry
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:21:29 -0700

Hi all;

I guess I am one of the fortunate ones in that I have a "FREE" acceess
to ancestry through the Calgary Public Library. Yesterday, I used the
service to try to fill some holes in my Ardern family but found that I
got far more info than I was looking for. All of it did not pertain to
the people I was searching. I would enter the person's name (given and
surname) and year of birth but was inundated with Arderns with different
given names and years of birth going back to 1837. Perhaps I do not
understand the system but I found it frustrating to use. I intend to
return to the Library and have another go to see how I can narrow down
my search parameters. Incidentally, it did not make any difference
whether I used the general search or the advanced search methods.

In the hour at my disposal I found only one piece of information that
was useful to me.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This thread: