CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2006-03 > 1142589442

From: judy olsen <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Marriage Ages
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:57:22 +0000

Its all very suggestive of property interests being protected or even
enlarged.

to expand a bit on David's message. Wealthy people were generally
well fed and lived in much healthier circumstances than the peasantry
but even so life was precarious. Marriage could be used to
consolidate family landholdings or make sure there were heirs. for
poor people on the other hand, marriages can be surprisingly late
simply because it look time to get set up economically - decent job,
own cottage etc.

With a high ranking cleric, a gent and youngish marriages I would be
off looking for family wills. This could be what you need to confirm
the relationships you have sketched out.

By the way you dont seem to have mentioned their names.

Judy

On 16 Mar 2006, at 21:13, Ellen Edwards wrote:

> Thank you, David, that makes me feel better, knowing that in
> English society, late 1600s, marrying at 15 to 17 is quite usual
> for women in their particular circumstances... Ellen

This thread: