CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2006-03 > 1143024402

Subject: Re: [CHS] Iron Puddler
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:46:42 EST

writes:

He worked making iron.
There is information about the process here
http://www.geocities.com/jenks436/puddler.html

it says
In charge of this furnace was the ' Puddler ', a highly skilled and
dangerous occupation which required physical strength, stamina and
sustained concentration.

HTH
Anne
On 22 Mar 2006, at 10:21, Weston, Liz wrote:

> I'm intrigued by the 1871 entry for Thomas aged 18 who was a puddler -
> what is a puddler? The mind boggles! Winnie the Pooh had not been
> invented then.

Hi Lyn,
Puddling was part of a process for changing Pig iron into Wrought Iron.
It was ontroduced by Henry Cort in 1783. An eighteen year old lad would seem
to me to be very young for such a job as raking molten iron in a furnace. It
was dangerous and required a lot of experience.
Ricky Cooper.

This thread: