CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2006-03 > 1143146472

From: Ellen Edwards <>
Subject: Fw: [CHS] Wills Question? What is that O?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:46:50 -0800

Yes, I have wondered about an O, also.
And have a similar question, with letters and numbers above the door of an
old timbered house, Lawton Street in Congleton.
>> Top line: 1 6 H 7 1
>> Directly Underneath: W O M
The O is directly under the H. On each side of the WOM is a small white
square with a black eagle shape. The Moretons of Little Moreton Hall use the
greyhound or wolf as their emblem, but that is another topic...

As I'm sure I read somewhere this was a house of the Moretons, my guess for
the letters is "House of William of Moreton."
Any comments?
Ellen

This thread: