CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2006-03 > 1143260835

From: "Christine Draisey" <>
Subject: Chester Burials
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 22:27:15 -0600

I am seeking the advice of local listers in trying to determine possible burial places in Chester for this family:

John DICKSON, "gentleman", d. Oct 5, 1834, probably 70+ years old. I believe he was a merchant like the two friends mentioned in his will - John Pritchard, linen draper, of Shoemaker's Row and Thomas Moulson, tobacconist, of Eastgate Street.
John Dickson's wife is unknown but died before 1828, and only two children are mentioned. There was a daughter, Eliza Dickson, and a son, John Street Dickson, who was baptised June 8 1783, at St. Martin's and who died in 1859. IGI shows a possible marriage match for John the elder to Sarah Shone, March 1777 at St. John the Baptist.

Are these churches in the same vicinity? Does anyone have an index to churchyard burials, or would those be held only at the Cheshire Records office? I do know that the Overleigh Cemetery did not open until 1850.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Christine, Iowa, USA

This thread: