CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2006-03 > 1143749378

From: "David Gilligan" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] HEWITT Baptism - near Dunham Massey?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:09:38 +0100 (GMT Standard Time)

Hello Norvell

Dunham Massey was in Bowdon Parish in 1817 so the Bowdon parish church (St
Mary's) would be a good place to look for this baptism.

But may I caution you about about taking the place 'where born' in the
census returns too precisely. I've found that this information is often
suspect, especially as it's now been shown that our ancestors moved around a
great deal. It was frequently the case that the place of birth and where a
person was baptised were often in different geographical locations
(sometimes close: sometimes not close).

Still it could be that Charles was born and baptised in Dunham Massey
(Bowdon). For other churches in the area have a look at GENUKI:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/

Hope this helps.

David