CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2006-05 > 1147691386

From: judy olsen <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Old maps of the Sandbach area in Cheshire
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:09:46 +0100

I know the maps on the old-maps site are later, but am curious as to
where this inn was. Presumably on the main road going SE out of
Sandbach? Wouldn't it be more usual to have a coaching inn in the
larger centre of population?

You might be able to track down some details of this inn if there was
mail traffic along this route. The innkeeper would then have had a
commitment to keep horses ready for the mail coach and he (she?)
might turn up in account books or contracts.

Judy