CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2006-06 > 1150448410

From: "Trena" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Recycling names?
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 05:00:10 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sally Edwards" <>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 3:36 AM
Subject: [CHS] Recycling names?

> Hi List,
>
> I have a few instances where families appear to have reused the same name
> if
> a child has died. Is this possible?

Hi Sally,

Yes this happened frequently when the first named child died. Am quite
certain everyone doing family research has come across this more than once.
We even have a case of two daughters having the name Mary, although the
first was named Mary Mills CLARK and the second was Mary Ann CLARK. First
lived to be married, dying a few years later in 1858. Second lived to
adulthood too. 2 x great-grandfathers younger sisters.

> It seems a bit strange to me....

.... as it does to all of us, when we are unaware. 'Tis how they did things
back then. No doubt it still happens occasionally, although I've not a
known case within my own families.

Cheerio,
Toni ~ Ontario

This thread: