CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2006-09 > 1158143874

From: "David Watts" <>
Subject: [CHS] Stockport families of Abraham Shaw, Luke Shaw, & Wm. Sweetmore
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 06:37:54 -0400

I have the following data on my Cheshire Shaw family:

Abraham Shaw m. Elizabeth Sweetmore 12 Oct 1851 at Manchester Cathedral
They were living in Stockport Second District when their dau Emma was born in 1853 and Eliza Ann in 1854.
They had moved to Ashton under Lyne before 1868, when their son Frederick was born.
Abraham died sometime after the 1871 Census, but before the 1881 Census when Elizabeth is listed as a widow.
According to the 1871 Ashton under Lyne Census both Abraham Shaw and his wife Elizabeth were born about 1831 in Stockport Cheshire.

Abraham & Elizabeth are my great great grandparents.

>From the International Genealogical Index:

Sweetmore is an uncommon surname and two daughters (Elizabeth and Sarah) of William & Sarah Sweetmore were christened at St Thomas, Stockport in 1843.

Shaw is a very common surname in Cheshire, but there are two interesting entries:
Eliza Ann Shaw dau of Luke & Ann Shaw b. 11 APR 1831 Stockport, Cheshire
Abraham Shaw son of Luke & Elizabeth Shaw b. 1832 Stockport, Cheshire

The 1841 and 1851 census data for Stockport might have both the Luke Shaw and the William Sweetmore families listed.
The 1861 census may also have the Abraham Shaw family.

Thanks to all for any help.

David Watts Massachusetts USA

This thread: