CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2007-01 > 1169483750

From: Ray Tomlinson <>
Subject: [CHS] Alteration to Birth Certificate
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 16:45:03 +0000

Strange one this - I have recently obtained a copy of a relatives
birth cert. My grandmother registered a son, my uncle, at Stockport
in 1916. The certificate was "corrected" in Sept 1932 ostensibly "on
production of a statutory declaration". The father's name was removed
as was his occupation. My grandmother's surname and maiden name on
the cert were the same and the maiden name was removed.

Has anyone come across a birth cert being altered in this way before?
Perhaps there is a clue in the fact that the child would have reached
the age of 16? Any ideas as to where a "Statutory Declaration" would
have been made and whether this might still exist?

I can PM a copy of the cert to anyone interested.

Thanks

Ray

This thread: