CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2008-05 > 1210201067

From: Bob Kirk <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Cheshire BMD Replacement Information
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 23:57:47 +0100

Just to wet your appetites. Today the CheshireBMD team working on the
Tameside Registers have been given permission to include maiden names
in our birth indexes. We wont start this task until we have finished
the death indexes upto 1974, which should be in around 8 weeks.

We originally started indexing 6 years ago and thought that with these
last few death entries our task would be finished. Looks like someone
just gave us a two year extension.

There are only about 800,000 birth entries so dont hold your breath.

Have Fun.

Bob Kirk
Dukinfield
Cheshire

http://kirksoft.co.uk/

Interests:
KIRK (Crewe)
DAWSON (Manchester)

On 7 May 2008, at 18:37, Brett Langston wrote:

> Gordon,
>
> While it may have been the understanding when the FAQ was written
> (eight
> years ago now) that the format of the indxees was prescribed by law,
> this statement has proved to be inaccurate. In view of the fact that
> mothers' maiden names are being included in the indexes, I would agree
> that this needs to be changed as soon as possible.
>
> The very existence of CheshireBMD, and its counterpart web-sites, has
> challenged many long-held assumptions about the registration system.
> Even though I'm no longer actively involved with the project (and I
> certainly can't speak on their behalf), I'm extremely proud to have
> been
> there at the start. I hope you will join with me in thanking all
> concerned for their dedication for voluntarily giving up many, many
> hours of their own time for no reward, other than the satsfaction of
> knowing the benefits it will bring to fellow researchers worldwide.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brett Langston

This thread: