Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2008-05 > 1211805691

From: Mr Happy <>
Subject: [CHS] Rope & REDROPE
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 12:41:31 +0000

There are various theories about the origins of the REDDROP/REDROPE/REDROBE surname. Redruth, Cornwall is cited as one source but it is also linked with other places and even professions.

As I am currently looking at some REDROPs who lived in Bunbury, Cheshire in the 1500s I was wondering whether there might be any local explanations. I can see that they also lived in Salop and Denbighshire in the 1600s but, from what I have seen so far, the Cheshire ones are the earliest.

Not far from Bunbury is a samll place called Rope (or ROOPE). Does anyone know if there was a place nearby called Red Rope, or similar?

Thanks In Advance,
Mr Happy:-)

All new Live Search at

This thread: