CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2008-08 > 1219349525

From: "David Gilligan" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Witness to marriage
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:12:05 +0100

Hello Sue

I'm copying this answer to the list in case others want to know.

More often than not the Parish Clerk was a witness to a marriage. In my
one-place study of Northenden I have the Parish Clerk, John Lamb, witnessing
marriages for well over 30 years. In the 1841 Census his occupation is put
down as 'Shoe Maker' so it's probably that Parish Clerks often had another
job.

Hope this helps

David Gilligan