CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2008-10 > 1224625988

From: Vanessa Dixon <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] FamilySearch Pilot Site - Cheshire CofE Records
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:53:08 +0000 (GMT)

There's been one thing that's always puzzled me. Many years ago I offered to transcribe the parish registers of a local church, this would allow them to keep their registers safe, the church had been broken into several times and I also knew of another church that had had pages torn out of the register by a family historian, I would also give a copy to the local history library (with their consent). I had had experience of transcribing a parish register in the past so knew what I was doing. The parish council thanked me for my offer but were worried that the Mormons would get their hands on the transcription and add it to their records, which they didn't want. A couple of years later I was in the local history library and noticed a new micro-film of the church in question, when I looked at it I found that it had been filmed by the Mormons, this I take it with the consent of the church. So why the change of heart? These are films of the original records
still kept by the church so they must have approached the parish council to film them.
Once the registers have been filmed they are freely available to view in libraries, the charge only being for photocopies of pages, but I can remember once being told that there was a limit on the number of pages you could photocopy, due to the copyright. Maybe this is the reason for the withdrawal of the unindexed registers, we were able to download as many pages as we wanted, its possible they need to get permission from each church because of this. If this is the case I would be happy for them to stop the download fascility as long as we are able to search the registers and make our own extracts, afterall that's what we usually do when searching them in record offices and libraries.
Vanessa

IT'S A WISE CHILD THAT KNOWS ITS OWN FATHER.....BUT WISER YET THE FATHER THAT KNOWS HIS OWN CHILD