CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2009-01 > 1232480825

From: Michael J Hulme <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Occupation in 1841 census
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:47:05 +0000

Hello Kristina

If you have a look at the Old Occupations web site at
http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/index.html you will find that Flatman / Floatman
is defined as:-

Boatman on a flat bottom boat (a flat) used in shallow waters (mainly
rivers and canals) for transport. The term also came to refer to
shallow-draft coastal sailing vessels.

There is a link to additional information on the above web site.

Mike
Shropshire, UK